Monday, February 20, 2006

Housework Happy

I can't help it. Despite the fact that I was brought up to believe that "housewife" was a bad word, I get really happy when I see the result of some housework that I've done. I'm never too thrilled to be spending time going through our crap or dusting, but when it's done, I'm totally thrilled and keep walking out of the room and back into it again so I can admire my newly-cleared space. All that college education for nothing... ha ha

But, I imagine that most people understand the good feeling you get from being organized, even just in one little area. I am going very slowly with the Flylady thing; I haven't really made myself a morning or evening routine yet. At least, not the whole thing. I do start laundry every morning, and shine my sink (and usually wash dishes beforehand) every night, as I have mentioned in a previous post. One of my "15-minute boogies" resulted in a completely cleared off dressertop, which has miraculously stayed that way since. I was amazed that I could get the whole thing cleared off so quickly. Now my desk is almost entirely clean and dusted, even on top of the hutch. Ahhh, it feels good to look around and not have CRAP everywhere anymore. There is still a ton to do, of course, but these little victories are making me happy and giving me the boost I need to keep going. Making slow and steady progress like this is SO much better than what I was doing before - looking around, feeling completely overwhelmed, throwing my hands up in the air, and doing nothing.

To completely change gears - Miss Thing hasn't pooped in two days. She's on the potty now... last night before she went to sleep she told me, "Mama, my bum is all closed up like a bucket." That doesn't sound good. But she spent all day yesterday drinking cups FULL of juice and soy milk (not mixed together, eww)! Pretty weird. I hope she goes today before we leave. We're hoping to go see the Monarchs at Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz before they leave in the next couple weeks to fly back to the Rocky Mountains.

*Evening addendum:* The Monarchs are gone. I called the park to check in the morning and once again, we missed the darn butterflies. Next year we'll actually have to PLAN to go see them during the proper season (October - February). Heh. So, no outing today. And no poop from the child. I'm concerned, but she's acting just fine. I'm wondering if she's doing this on purpose, but I don't know why she would - she had such great success on the potty a couple weeks ago. We'll see what tomorrow brings... glad our road trip to my sister's house is only an hour long.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooooooooooh. That sounds like fun....I wonder how far that is from us....

I love cleaning. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I looooove when my house is organized and clean. There is some Chinese thing (how's that for accuracy?) that says your mind and soul are less cluttered when your surroundings are in order.

Violet the Verbose said...

I believe it! That's exactly how I feel when things are clean. Less to worry about, less to think about having to do later. Kinda makes ya wanna get rid of your stuff, doesn't it? ha ha!