Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Lied

Remember in my last post when I said that the girls had been healthy for a week? Well, I lied. Not just to you - I was lying to myself too. I didn't want to believe it. The Bug started coughing five or so days ago, but I told myself that since it didn't rapidly turn into a cold or anything much, it must be allergies or something. And maybe it was, I really don't know. But now, she's sick. And so is Sweet Pea.

The night before last Sweet Pea told me off and on that her tummy hurt, but there didn't actually seem to be anything wrong with her. Yesterday she was REALLY cold and shivery after I washed her hair in the bathtub, but I didn't think too-too much about it until she needed to wear a sweatshirt and snuggle into the couch to keep warm even after she was fully dressed. Shortly before it was time to take her to school I took her temperature, and the thermometer read 102.7. I think she has her dad's flu. I still haven't taken The Bug's temperature but her nose is running a lot and really bugging her now, and both girls coughed a lot during the night. Sounds like they've got a bunch of phlegm in their chests or something. Though now that they're up, they're not really coughing, so maybe the phlegm is in their heads. We can hope (except that we'll have to be on ear infection alert again).

My mother-in-law said to me last night, "well, stay healthy..." I told her, "given my track record this winter, I should be just fine." Everyone has been sick around me nearly the whole time, but somehow, magically, despite my extreme lack of sleep during the times when everyone else is sick, I have barely caught so much as a sore throat here and there. Which is good, but at the same time, it would sure be nice for somebody to take care of ME for once, and of course that would only happen if I were as sick as Slipshod is right now. Please don't misunderstand me - I do not want to get sick, especially not this flu. I'm just sayin', it's a lonely, hard job being a mom when everyone else is getting sick over and over and over and OVER! Slipshod is not difficult to take care of, but having him out of commission for this long is really tough. Today is Slipshod's 5th (well 4 1/2) day flat on his back on the couch.

That is all. I need to finish making the oatmeal.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Dude, you need a vacation. I thought California's warm air was supposed to be good for the health?

Sorry you can't all be healthy. Hope you get months of good health after this.